POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : subdivision of mesh causes distortion of UV map : Re: subdivision of mesh causes distortion of UV map Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:50:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: subdivision of mesh causes distortion of UV map
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 6 Nov 2004 15:17:08
Message: <h5cqo053hf9g731h04kp9ko33cvhsocm9l@4ax.com>
Hi Steve Shelby, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> I made a mesh maple leaf and used a bump map for the veins. It looks fine as
> long as I don't subdivide the mesh, but using a subdivision level of 1
> produces extreme distortion of the bump map.
Yes, there are some issues with the way that UV mapping is propagated
to the subdivided surface.
My best solution is to create the mesh with no UV mapping, set the
subdivision setting to what you want it to be, then press the Convert
to Mesh button to convert the subdivided mesh to a real mesh. Then
work with this new real mesh (which is the subdivided version of the
original mesh) and UV map that. You can keep the original around as a
hidden, non-exportable object, or you can toss it....

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray